You ever notice how most television shows kind of lose their oomph after their second season? I’m not sure what happens, but it’s like writers get bored with their characters, or just simply don’t know what to do with them after a certain point. I noticed this the other night, when watching Happy Endings. I adore this show, and since it’s first episode it’s been a dependable 30 minutes of fast paced hilarity every week for the last two years. But in the more recent episodes, it just seems like they’re trying too hard! The characters have become unrealistic and annoying, and I’m beginning to feel like I watch it out of obligation.
There are a handful of shows that somehow managed to maintain their level of comedy without going too far (and by far I mean stupid). Yep, you guessed it, it’s list time!
5 Shows That Don’t Suck After Season 2
- Friends. Yep, they top the list. 10 seasons that kept you guessing. I don’t remember a time that I could ever predict what was going to happen. I don’t remember a time the show was stupid, or trying too hard. It really is the best show of all time.
- How I Met Your Mother. Yeah, this show is the best show since Friends. It’s been 8 seasons of suspense and hilarity. I can’t WAIT for Ted to meet their mother, and if it doesn’t happen soon I may implode! Flashbacks can kind of get annoying on some shows, considering you can’t dress a 35 year old up as a college kid convincingly no matter how much botox they’ve had. But in this instance, I’m more than willing to make an allowance. While Jason Segel has gotten chubbier, and a bit more moley, he still does young high college Marshall like nobody’s business.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Yep, I’m that kind of nerd. I love me some hot vampires, and even hotter Sarah Michelle Gellar. It’s one of those shows that perfectly combine awesome ass-kicking action with side splitting comedy, which are two of my absolute favorite things.
- Modern Family. This show… Not enough words. I adore it, and never really get tired of it. Every member of this cast is hilarious separately, so of course when brought together, what else could we expect!?
- Grey’s Anatomy. Yeah, so this wasn’t really what could be considered a “comedy” per se, but it definitely has it’s funny moments! I know there have been a lot of character swaps, and major dramatic events, but I live for the little funny bits. It’s one of those shows that suck you in, and make you fall in love with the characters. I also feel that the writer (writers? I don’t know if Shonda Rhimes still writes it?) has really stayed true to the characters. As you “get to know” them, you know what to expect, and it never seems fake or over the top.
Welp, there we go! If there are any of these shows that you haven’t seen, go immediately to the Netflix machine! They are required viewing. There will be a test, so hop to!!